Redundant organs in Scotland - Sept. 2019
If any church (worldwide) is interested in taking in any of these nice organs we’d be very happy to assist with advice, or actually doing it. Reading between the lines I think they all come free of charge in terms of actually purchasing them. Of course the act of dismantling, transporting and reinstalling them costs a bit…….
Arbroath Knox’s Church
The organ is a quality instrument by Peter Conacher of Huddersfield and was built for Brechin West Free Church in 1895. It was moved here in 1948. The church has now closed and may be sold within weeks.
Great: Open Diapason 8, Gamba 8, Dulciana 8, Clarabella 8, Principal 4, Harmonic Flute 4, Fifteenth 2, Clarinet 8
Swell: Lieblich Bourdon 16,Open Diapason 8, Stopped Diapason 8, Viola da Gamba 8, Voix Celeste 8, Gemshorn 4, Horn 8, Oboe 8, Tremulant.
Pedal: Bourdon 16, Bass Flute 8.
Action to manuals mechanical. Action to Pedal and stop tabs exhaust pneumatic.
Dimensions about 25 feet high, 15 feet deep (could be reduced by 2 feet if pulpit removed and trackers shortened), 12 feet wide (16’ if entire balustrade included).
Contact at Church: Mr. Bill Clark firstname.lastname@example.org tel: 01241 876014
Keithhall Church, near Inverurie
This church closed in 2017 but has not yet been sold. The organ is by Ernest Lawton of Aberdeen, who trained with Brindley & Foster in Sheffield and then worked with Wadsworth in Aberdeen before becoming independent in 1898. His early organs are of high quality and reliable. As this building is architecturally listed, planning permission to remove the organ is required and this takes about twelve weeks once a firm expression of interest is received.
Manual: Open Diapason 8, Stop Diapason 8, Dulciana 8, Principal 4, Fifteenth 2, Pedal Sub Bass 16.
Pedal: Bourdon 16
Action to manual mechanical, pedal pneumatic. Pedal C to f ‘ straight but concave.
Dimensions: 7 feet deep including pedalboard, 8 feet wide plus 3 feet for Bourdon pipes, which could go at rear if necessary. 13 feet high to top of pipes.
Contact at church: Mrs. Pat Lawie email@example.com
Foveran near Ellon, Aberdeenshire
This church closed in 2008 but only recently has there been a move to dispose of it. The organ here is also a fine example of the work of Lawton, dating from 1900 (see Keithhall above).
Great: Open Diapason 8, Hohl Flute 8, Dulciana 8, Flute Harmonique 4, Pedal Sub Bass 16.
Swell: Violin Diapason 8, Salcional 8, Lieblich Gedact 8, Voix Celeste 8, Salicet 4, Oboe 8.
Three couplers. Action Mechanical to manuals, pneumatic to pedal and façade pipes.
Contact: Mrs. Judith Roebuck at Church of Scotland JRoebuck@churchofscotland.org.uk
This church has not closed, but they would like to dispose of the organ to make way for a door. It was built for this church in 1908 by Cousans of Lincoln and unusually has slider chests and mechanical action.
Great: Pedal Bourdon 16, Open Diapason 8, Dulciana 8, Harmonic Flute 4.
Swell: Pedal Bourdon 16, Gamba 8, Lieblich Gedeckt 8, Voix Celeste 8, Gemshorn 4.
Swell to Great, Swell Octave to Great.
Action to keys mechanical, bass notes to Dulciana and Bourdon charge pneumatic.
The proposal to dispose of the organ is still to be approved by the Church of Scotland, but enquiries meantime may be addressed to Ian Hankinson at the church:
LIff Church, Angus
After a long spell trying to dispose of this organ, the Church of Scotland now wishes to dispose of the church, with organ still in situ.
The organ is by Alexander Young of Manchester and dates from 1880 and has two manuals and 17 stops. The action is mechanical, and some work is needed to the reservoir. There is also some asbestos to be removed under the organ. This said, it is apparently a fine instrument well worth relocating.
Contact: Mrs Judith Roebuck JRoebuck@churchofscotland.org.uk for further details.
This church closed recently and is not architecturally listed, so the organ can be removed without fuss to a good home.
It is a small organ by James Bruce of Edinburgh dating from the 1830s. It came here in 1951 when it was installed by Willis. Its previous whereabouts are unknown.
Manual: Stop Diapason 8 (treble & bass), Dulciana 8, Principal.
Contact at the church: Sheena Dawe firstname.lastname@example.org
Paisley St. James
This church has now been sold to a building contractor for storage. The organ could not be removed, as it is a listed building, but the local authority is apparently not averse to its removal if a firm offer is made.
The organ, which was designed for what was a new building in 1884, was a two manual by Father Willis but was increased to three in 1901 but rebuilt by J. W. Walker as a two manual again in 1967.
Great: Double Open Diapason 16, Open Diapason 8, Principal 8, Stopped Diapason 8, Octave 4, Quintadena 4, Twelfth 2 2/3, Fifteenth 2, Mixture III, Trumpet.
Swell: Open Diapason 8, Lieblich Gedeckt 8, Viola da Gamba, Voix Celeste 8, Principal 4, Suabe Flute 4, Flautino 2, Sesquialtera II, Scharf III, Contra Fagotto 16, Cornopean 8, Oboe 8, Clarion 4.
Pedal: Open Diapason 16, Violone 16, Bourdon 16, Octave 8, Violoncello 8, Bass Flute 8, Fifteenth 4, Nachthorn 4, Mixture IV, Trombone 16, Fagotto 16, Posaune 8, Schalmei 4.
Key action electro-pneumatic.
Although not used since 2016, this organ could probably be revived without too much difficulty in a new location.
Photographs on the NPOR.
Contact Mrs. Judith Roebuck at Church of Scotland, JRoebuck@churchofscotland.org.uk
Aberdeen St. George’s, Tillydrone
The organ here is a one manual (no pedal) installed in 1971 by Philip Wright with pipework, stops and chests from a one manual organ of 1857 by Merkin-Schutze of Brussels. The organ was previously at St. Margaret’s Episcopal Church, Forgue, Aberdeenshire.
Manual: Montre 8, Bourdon 8, Prestant 4, Doublette 2, Larigot 1 1/3 (Larigot added 1971).
The organ was in working order when last inspected. Contact: WMitchell@churchofscotland.org.uk
Edinburgh Pius X Catholic Church
This church contains an unaltered Forster & Andrews organ of 1880, replacing one of 1879 which was destroyed by fire. The specification was never complete, but what exists is of high quality and largely working, though unrestored. The church decided to re-order the church interior and acquired another organ locally, arguably of poorer quality.
It has two manuals and 13 stops working, and there is provision for a further five stops on the manuals.
Great: Open Diapason 8, Stopped Diapason Bass 8, Hohlflote 8, Dulciana 8, Principal 4, Twelfth 2 2/3, Fifteenth 2 (preparation for one additional 8’ stop and one 4 foot)
Swell: Open Diapason 8, Viole d’Amore 8, Voix Celestes 8, Principal 4, Oboe 8 (preparation for a 16’ Bourdon, a Piccolo and a reed).
Pedal: Bourdon 16.
13 feet wide, 9 feet deep, 20 feet high approximately, including central façade pipes, in a port-and-rail design.
Enquiries to Mr. John Blyth on email@example.com
Full report available from firstname.lastname@example.org but regret I have no photos to hand.
No photo available.
Stonehaven Mackie Academy
This is a three manual Ingram, originally in Dr. Mackie’s house, moved to the Academy and later rebuilt by David Loosley of Stirling with 18 stops, on extension from three ranks. Dismantled two years ago and currently in storage. Details on Mander website.
No photo available.
Edinburgh Royal Infirmary
The James Conacher of 1879 which stood in the chapel of the old Royal Infirmary is still available from David Stark at Nenthorn. It has one manual and six stops. It was a reliable instrument with original mechanical action. email@example.com
No photo available.
Edinburgh St. Margaret’s Parish (Old Restalrig)
The 1936 Compton from Restalrig also remains with David Stark at Nenthorn near Kelso.
Two manuals and eleven stops from two extended ranks. firstname.lastname@example.org
The remains of this 1969 Conacher rebuild, we note, are now on e-bay, 2/23, though it used older material from the 1896 Abbott & Smith also in the same building. No photo.
Boddam Parish Church nr Peterhead
This church’s organ appears to be up for sale with the building and apparently has pipes! It was installed in 1937, but we have been unable to establish the builder. No photo.
Dowally Church, Perthshire
This church is about to be sold and contains a Casson Positive of 1900, originally in Dunkeld Cathedral 1900-08. It lacks a motor or feeders now, unfortunately, but is otherwise intact. Enquiries to the minister the Rev Fraser Penny 01350 727249. email@example.com No photo.